Photo by Ditte Isager, copyright 2019
Excerpted from the book THE CLEAN PLATE: EAT, RESET, HEAL by Gwyneth Paltrow. Copyright © 2019 by Gwyneth Paltrow Reprinted with permission of Grand Central Life & Style. All rights reserved.
Prep Time: 30 min
Yield: 2 servings
A friend of mine told me about this soup she’d had at a Peruvian restaurant called aguadito de pollo that was a vibrant green color from all the cilantro in it. As a lover of cilantro for its unmistakable flavor, I had to try to make my own version of the soup.
After tinkering a bit and swapping out the rice for cauliflower rice, I landed on a soup that was equal parts light and satiating. Cilantro is said to have chelating properties—meaning it may help the body get rid of heavy metals—and is generally thought of as a cleansing herb in the Ayurvedic tradition. This is the kind of cleanse-friendly food I’d eat whenever.
Peruvian Chicken Cauli-Rice
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ jalapeno (optional)
- Juice of 3 limes
- ¼ cup water, plus more if needed
- 4 cups Chicken Stock (homemade or organic chicken stock)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ head of cauliflower, riced (1 to 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Combine the onion, cilantro, jalapeno (if using), lime juice, and water in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, adding a little extra water if needed to loosen the mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium soup pot, bring the stock to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add the chicken and salt and cook until the chicken is opaque and fully cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and let cool.
- Meanwhile, add the cauliflower rice and peas to the broth and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cauliflower rice is tender but not mushy. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat.
- To serve, increase the heat to medium, return the shredded chicken to the pot, and add the onion-cilantro puree. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes before serving.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with lime